Junior Raul Frias made seven three-pointers to lead the LIU Brooklyn men’s basketball team past Saint Peter’s University Saturday afternoon, 74-58. The 21-point effort was a career-high for the junior, as he went 7-for-10 from three-point range. Frias was just one of four Blackbirds to score in double digits in the win, that helped LIU move to 5-4 on the season.
Senior Raiquan Clark had a double-double with 16 points and a career-high 15 rebounds, while sophomore Ty Flowershad 15 points, and junior Julius van Sauers had a season-high 13 points.
The home team had the lead early in the first half, but three-pointers from both van Sauers and Flowers would help keep LIU in the game. The Blackbirds would take their first lead on the contest at 13:30, when junior Julian Batts hit a three-pointer to make it 13-12. The two teams stayed close from there, until the Peacocks used a 7-0 run to go up, 27-20. But with just under seven minutes to go, Frias made his first three. The Miami, Fla. native then made two more, single-handedly putting the Blackbirds ahead, 29-27 with 4:34 to play. Flowers hit another three with just under two minutes to go, but the two teams would go into the halftime break tied, 34-34.
At the start of the second half, the Blackbirds would start to put together a 12-4 run of their own, sparked by a three-pointer from Batts. Frias then hit two more threes, and Flowers had a traditional three-point play that put LIU on top, 46-39 with 15:37 to play. The Blackbirds would widen the lead with a 15-2 run that spanned five minutes, taking a 68-50 lead with 4:32 to go. Clark would add another layup and a three-pointer to keep the Blackbirds ahead, and LIU held on to the cushion to beat the Peacocks, 74-58.
NOTES FROM THE NEST
- Raul Frias hit a new career-high with his 21 points, going 7 for 9 from three-point range in 28 minutes of action.
- Raiquan Clark went 6-for-11 from the field for 16 points, and grabbed a career-high 15 rebounds. He also had two blocks and two steals in the win, and needs just 13 points to reach 1,000 career points.
- Sophomore Ty Flowers had 15 points and seven rebounds, while Julius van Sauers had 13 points and six rebounds. Junior Jashaun Agosto had six rebounds and six assists for the Blackbirds.
- LIU shot 44.2 percent from the field as a team, and 70 percent from the free throw line.
- Saint Peter’s had three players score in double digits, as they move to 2-7 on the season.
- Up next, the Blackbirds travel to take on Stony Brook, Wednesday, December 12 at 7 p.m.
Leave a Reply